Use Nikwax Tech Wash® when your waterproof clothing and equipment soaks up water
Your waterproof clothing and equipment could be soaking up water because the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) has been compromised by dirt, or because it has been cleaned with a conventional laundry detergent. Dirt attracts water and household detergents leave water attracting (hydrophilic) residues, leading to fabric ‘wetting out’ in wet or damp conditions.
If your waterproof clothing or equipment is relatively new, or recently treated with a Nikwax waterproofer, then cleaning with Nikwax Tech Wash® will not only remove contaminants, such as dirt and residues left behind by household detergents, but also revitalize DWR.
Make sure you clean with the right product
Conventional laundry detergents leave behind a water attractive (hydrophilic) residue which masks the Durable Water Repellency (DWR), causing fabrics to absorb water and ‘wet out’ in damp or wet conditions. Therefore, they need to be avoided when cleaning waterproof clothing and equipment.
Products that claim to clean and waterproof at the same time are generally not very effective cleaners and may seal in dirt.
Use Nikwax Tech Wash® to thoroughly clean your waterproof clothing and equipment safely, revitalize DWR and breathability.
How Nikwax Tech Wash® maintains your gear
Nikwax Tech Wash® is the market leader; it has been specifically designed and optimized for breathable waterproof fabrics.
Nikwax Tech Wash® is a highly effective cleaner. Additionally it will revitalize existing Durable Water Repellency (DWR) and revive breathability. It is the safe way to thoroughly clean your waterproof clothing and equipment. Application in a washing machine is quick, easy, and ensures that the whole garment is thoroughly cleaned.
Use Nikwax Tech Wash® in a washing machine
Use undiluted Tech Wash® and a sponge, or soft nylon brush, to treat stubborn stains before washing. Remove all non-washable parts. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions.
*Do not use detergents
Top Loading Machine Wash:
1. Place maximum 6 garments in washing machine.
2. After the machine has filled, 5floz/150ml for 1-3 garments, 8floz/250ml for 4-6 garments. Add an additional 50ml for hard water* areas.
3. Set cycle to Heavy and Warm. 1-3 items: low water level, 4-6 items: medium water level.
Front Loading Machine Wash:
1. Remove all detergent from detergent dispenser.
2. Place maximum of 2 garments in washing machine.
3. Add 3floz/100ml of Tech Wash®. Add an additional 50ml for hard water* areas.
4. Set cycle to Synthetics and Warm (30oC).
* If you have calcium and mineral deposits in your washing machine you have hard water.